When you grow up with two older brothers you really have no other option than to grow up tough! My brothers are 6 and 8 years older than me so by the time I came along the options were keep up or get out of the way. I chose to keep up! I think I learned that in about week 2 of life as can be noted by the expression on my face in the picture below.
Here are a few things you should know about growing up with 2 older brothers:
- There will be injuries. They may knock you out during a late night boxing match or yank your teeth out with a fashionable telephone cord (belt) if you lived in the 80’s you might remember said belt. Anyway...to the late night boxing incident. I was probably 7 or 8 years old at the time and we loved to box each other so we would take a mattress and lay it on the floor like a boxing ring. We would “gear up” by grabbing pillows and wearing wrestling head gear (I should tell you a wrestling head gear does nothing for your head. ) we would use the pillow as a “glove” which meant our hands were just in a pillow case. One night in about the 8th round I got a fist to the side of the head and went out cold for an unknown amount of time. 🙂 Boys 1 Jen 0
- You will need to Build Muscle-I had no choice other than to lift weights when they did. If I wanted to keep up with them I had to lift like them. We used to crank up the 80’s rock and I would bench press like a champ. One day I was spotting Jamie, only problem was he lifted way more than I could! He tried to bench too much and got it stuck on himself, I couldn’t get it off so went upstairs to get mom. My memory must have been impacted from the boxing match though because I forgot to tell her! A few minutes later she asked where he was and that triggered my memory that Jamie needed help. I had never seen my mom move so fast or seen Jamie’s face that red in my life. Boys-1 Jen-1
- There will be blame-The boys blamed EVERYTHING on me! One night mom was having a very private meeting at our house. We knew we were NOT supposed to be heard or try to hear what the meeting was about. Well, they really wanted to know so we went outside and they put me on their shoulders and held me up to the huge picture window in our parents house. Imagine the look on my poor mother’s face when my little head popped into her view during her private/secret meeting! We were in deep crap! Guess what boys? I’m a P.E.O. Now and I know the secrets! Boys-1 Jen-2
- Teasing-My brothers convinced me to do so many things during our early years and then proceeded to tease me relentlessly about what I did. For years, “Jenni’s not smoke free” was echoed over and over again Until I cried. It all stemmed from a night when I was probably 5 when I put an unlit cigarette in my mouth at the golf course. They also teased me for years about “stealing” from The Ritz in Clear Lake, I had taken a peppermint patty from the counter that I thought was free, but I now know it was one of those 10 cent donation things for the Humane Society or something like that. Relentless, I tell you! Boys-2 Jen 2
- Love- There will be disagreements. There will be fights and tears, but above all there will be love. They would do anything for me and I would do anything for them so I guess in the long run we are at a tie! Boys-3 Jen-3
Boys, thank you for making me tough, it has served me well in the last 38 years. Happy National Siblings Day to the best brothers in the world!
From the gravel road,
P.S. Mom, I didn’t include ALL of the stories because let’s face it, sometimes siblings need to keep secrets for each other and I didn’t want to impact your ticker! ❤️ 😉